I did not want to get too far into 2010 without taking stock of a how tumultuous 2009 was for my family. If you want to know the details you can check out the post I did in August of this year to see the challenges we faced throughout 2009.
This post is more about what we have to be thankful for. Regardless of how many things went wrong, there is always reason to hope. The foundation of my hope can be found in Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” That said, here is a list of those people I am so very thankful for:
- The love of my life, Lisa. There are so many words to use to describe her but none will do her justice. She is an amazing woman and I thank God each day that he saw fit to put her in my life.
- My kids (Zane, Zach, & Grace) who are an amazing threesome and bring me pride & joy each day.
- My parents & sister (Deane, Kaye, & Lisa) who support us relentlessly. There is no doubt that having a strong family connection is critical to success for anyone. We can call them anytime if we need anything and they are there. Picking up kids, questions on vehicles, advice on home repairs, or anything else we may need. There is no way we would have made it through 2009 without them.
- Lisa’s mom & dad (Joe & Connie). Although they are not close in proximity, they provided a tremendous amount of support financially & without that, there would not have been a happy ending to 2009. They were also there for Lisa & helped many times with the store when no one else was available. Again, provided a great example for our kids as to exactly what family is all about.
- Our Pastor, Steve Bush and our church family at Millersport Covenant Church. Just knowing that people are praying for you and lifting you up does something for you that is indescribable & this small group of people are warriors when it comes to prayer.
- My dear friend Larry Russell Luckey II & his family (especially his mom & dad – Neva & Larry). There were than a few times I cried at my desk reading a note from Larry’s parent encouraging me with Scripture and their faith. I can’t tell you the number of times Larry would tell me his mom & dad would ask about me & my family and want to know how things were going. When Larry would tell them nothing had changed & I was still looking for work, they would say, “Come on, let’s pray right now.” This is the kind of faith Larry modeled for me all these years since we were roommates at Flagler College and one of the main reasons I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord & Savior.
- Finally, all the members of the Selah Men’s Group. I started this group about 2-3 years ago and we have been meeting every other week for just about that long. In all honesty, the discussions we have had were like therapy for me and I am so thankful for their willingness to listen and offer counsel. It is truly a blessing to have friends with whom you can totally honest and open without fear of any repercussions. I have learned so much from our time together that has enabled me to become a better husband & father.
So as we all head into 2010 and beyond, who & what are you thankful for? Believe me, there is a list just waiting to be written…don’t wait too long.